President Donald Trump last week asked senior aides what possibilities he had for an offensive missile strike on Iran’s primary nuclear site.
Reports from the New York Times on Monday indicate that Trump was on the cusps of bombing Iran.
News reports further allege that the meeting occurred in the Oval Office on Thursday.
It is reported that Trump asked his highest-ranking national security advisers what possible responses were available to him and how best to respond to Iran.
According to the paper, Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, acting Defense Secretary Christopher Miller and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley were among the senior advisers who convinced the President not to pursue a military strike.
They cautioned that such an attack could easily escalate into a full-fledged confrontation in his final days as president.
Administration officials with knowledge of the meeting further told the New york Tims paper that after Pompeo and Milley explained to the president the threat of the attack mushrooming into a larger conflict.
Officials departed the meeting thinking that the possibility of a missile attack on Iranian soil was no longer in question.
But officials told the paper that Trump could be continuing to eye plans to attack Iranian allies and assets, such as militias in Iraq.