Jimmy Wanjigi

Jimmy Wanjigi: Unceremonious Exit From Police Service, Ugly Past With Guns

Presidential aspirant Jimmy Wanjigi formerly served as a police officer of the rank of an inspector of police (reserve) before being sacked in 2001, court documents have shown.

According to a sworn affidavit by the Director of Criminal Investigations George Kinoti, Wanjigi was sacked and stripped off all his police powers and ordered to surrender all firearms and ammunition in his custody.

The unceremonious exit was a result of misuse of guns to threaten people, hence he was deemed a threat to the public.

According to the documents, he however later had his way after some time and was given back his firearms but never reinstated in the police service. The reason for his sacking and dispossession of his firearms was threatening other people with the said firearms.

Barely six years after the unceremonious exit from the police service, more people lodged complaints of their life being in danger following threats by use of firearms by Wanjigi.

He was for the second time ordered to surrender his firearms and ammunition and had his certificate of civilian firearm canceled.

“The suspect after some time had his way and had his certificate reinstated and repossessed his firearm and ammunition again. With time, he boosted his cache with both lawfully and unlawfully acquired firearms to a number that rivaled some large police stations armoury. Following information of possible National security concerns, police obtained orders for a search warrant,” said Kinoti in his affidavit.

Kinoti revealed that out of the seven firearms, only five belonged to him. Two were established to belong to some other people.

“Mostly a magazine accommodates 15 rounds at a go. And as a standard, a firearm is sold with two magazines. So, the five firearms could hold 150 rounds each for both magazines. There was thus, an extra of 538 amongst them the most lethal prohibited armos which translates to approximately 36 more magazines. This is akin to what the terrorists use in mass massacre,” said Kinoti.

On January 30, 2018, Wanjigi’s civilian firearm certificate was revoked for the third time. He was ordered to surrender immediately the firearm certificate, all firearms and ammunition in his possession.

On February 6, 2018, Wanjigi through his advocate averred that all his firearms and ammunition were confiscated from his residence on October 17, 2017, and therefore he had nothing more to surrender.

However further investigations have established that between February 12, 1997, and June 14, 2014, he had acquired a total of 16 firearms and more ammunition

It is this discovery that he was found in possession of illegal firearms that were established to have been licensed to some other people which lead to suspicion that what was not recovered and not surrendered could be hidden in one of the persons’ residences in Nyeri, Nyeri-Mweiga road near Dedan Kimathi University.

“In view of the two above firearms, the suspect was not licensed to have them in his possession thus contravened the law,” added Kinoti.

On February 7, 2018 the investigating team submitted to the ballistic expert the two assault rifles for examination and later received a report confirming that the two rifles namely CN005433-13 and Mini Archer 5/No. 2013-1M11 were semi-automatic assault rifle designed to Chamber Ammunitions of Caliber 5.56mm x 45. The two firearms are categorized as prohibited weapons as defined under the prohibited weapon under the Firearms Act.

Wanjigi had moved to court to have Kinoti jailed for contempt of court, for failing to return the guns. Kinoti was jailed for four months by Justice Anthony Mrima, but the case could take a new twist with the revalations.


Do you have a story you wish to tell? Oppressed at your work place? You have news? Tips? Exposé? You need to be heard??

The Kenyan Herald will carry your story. Share with us on email editor@kenyan-herald.com or info@Kenyan-herald.com or news@Kenyan-Herald.com

Do you have a comment about this article?