Suspended KEMSA CEO Manjari Denies Being Coerced Into Awarding Multi-billion Tenders

3390 views

Suspended Kenya Medical Supplies Authority (KEMSA) CEO Jonah Manjari was not pressured during awarding of tenders.

Appearing on Thursday before the Murang’a women representative Sabina Chege-led National Assembly Committee on Health, Mr Manjari said he was responsible for the procurement decisions made at the time.

“We were not instructed to procure those items from those suppliers as has been alluded earlier. AS CEO, I did not work under any pressure, I did these with my eyes open,” he told the committee.

Last week, the embattled CEO pointed the finger at Health CS Mutahi Kagwe and his PS Susan Mochache.

Then, he told the legislators, the two plus a member of the Covid-19 Emergency Response Board coerced him to awarding tenders to specific companies with already preset commodity prices.

“We got various requests from the Health CS, the PS Susan Mochache and a member of the Covid-19 Emergency Response Board. The requests were in form of phone calls, text messages and even emails,” he said.

In an attempt to absolve himself of any wrongdoing, Manjari also told the committee that the unutilised monies were still intact.

“Under my watch, no money was lost and I did not oversee any loss of funds. All commodities supplied have been utilised and those not utilised are intact.”

This comes as the agency is looking to make a Sh2 billion loss from the sale of equipment bought at inflated prices.

CS Kagwe has since distanced himself from the alleged loss of taxpayers money.

He told MPs that he pressured those working under him to get work done but did not issue instructions on procurement of COVID-19 medical equipment.

“It’s my job to put people under pressure so that they can produce the results we are looking for, its however not my job to tell anybody to commit a crime… it’s not my job to advise anybody against anything they are not supposed to do, and in the event that I told a CEO to do something that is against the law or something they are not comfortable with, he should have said give me that in writing,” Kagwe said.

PS Mochache has also distanced herself from the Kemsa saga.

 

Do you have a story you wish to tell? Oppressed at your work place? You have news? Tips? Exposé? You need to be heard??

The Kenyan Herald will carry your story. Share with us on email editor@kenyan-herald.com or info@Kenyan-herald.com or news@Kenyan-Herald.com

One Comment

  1. Pingback: EACC Raids Kemsa Offices Over Sh7.8 Billion Scam - The Kenyan Herald

Do you have a comment about this article?