Moses Kuria Calls for Constitutional Amendment Over the Gender Rule

Gatundu south Member of Parliament Moses Kuria has called for a constitutional change to help solve the ongoing calls for dissolving parliament.

The staunch Ruto ally has urged leaders especially the legislators to consider changing the constitution in order to solve the two thirds gender rule.

Moses Kuria wants the constitution amended
Moses Kuria with DP Ruto in Bumula on Sunday. Image/Courtesy

Kuria’s call comes barely a week after Chief Justice David Maraga wrote an advisory to the president to dissolve parliament with immediate effect for not observing the two thirds gender rule.

The Lawmaker urged that having the constitutional clause stating that the two thirds gender rule should be considered is a mistake that needs quick action.

According to Kuria, the only way to correct it is to remove the requirement from the constitution.

“The only solution to the two thirds gender rule impasse is to change the constitution through parliament to remove the requirement for the two third gender rule. We are ready. It was a mistake. A bad dream. That’s the reality we need to face,” Kuria said.

Kuria’s call comes days after Mps allied to Deputy President Willliam Ruto have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to dissolve Parliament as advised by Chief Justice David Maraga.

“The President swore to protect the Constitution of Kenya and Maraga has told him to heed what the Constitution stipulates on the two-thirds gender rule,” Hamisi MP Charles Gemose said.

The lawmaker said Maraga’s advisory was the correct interpretation of law and the President has no option but dissolve Parliament.

And even as calls for constitutional amendment through the BBI is expected to gain traction over the next few months, many will interpret Kuria’s call as a tacit approval for BBI.


Do you have a story you wish to tell? Oppressed at your work place? You have news? Tips? Exposé? You need to be heard??

The Kenyan Herald will carry your story. Share with us on email or or

Do you have a comment about this article?