Orders from above led to chaos

New Twist in Murang’a Chaos as Reports Indicate Police Involvement After Orders From Above

There is a new twist in the Sunday Murang’a chaos that rocked Deputy President William Ruto’s church tour of the region, leaving two people dead.

And in what appears to be an elaborate scheme from powerful individuals in the office of the president, the Standard reports that police officers were given express instructions to keep of the DP’s function, a move that precipitated the chaotic scenes seen on Sunday.

Read More: Come and Arrest Me, Defiant Ndindi Nyoro Dares DCI As he Spill Beans on Murang’a Chaos

The newspaper reports that a high ranking individual at the Ministry of Interior in a communiqué to his juniors gave express instructions to local police chiefs to withdraw all officers from Kenol the day Ruto and his Tangatanga team were visiting.

This happened even when there was clear intelligence on the ground that there would be chaos as individuals opposed to DP making political advances in the region planned to block his supporters from accessing the church premises Ruto was expected.

According to sources who spoke to the Standard, the local police officers had prepared and mapped out a detailed security plan for the DP’s visit which was shared to the senior commanders at county and regional levels.

Read More: DCI Summons Alice Wahome, Ndindi Nyoro Over Kenol Mayhem

With the plan in place, they had mobilised enough officers to handle any contingencies as the situation had been brewing all week, with whispers of possible disruption of the event by those opposed to William Ruto.

But in the last minute, the call from above threw the plan into the back banner, a move that has caused a huge furore both in the security and political field as politicians trade accusations on who was responsible for the chaos on Sunday.

Murang'a chaos
Youths engage each other at Kenol, Muranga County. Image/Courtesy

In spite of the order to withdraw all officers on the ground, the Standard reports that Makuyu Police chief Antony Keter, based on intelligence reports indicating possible violence developed a back-up plan in case things went south and managed to assemble a meagre team of 24 police officers from various stations in Murang’a county.

Interestingly, Keter and his team were not deployed to guard the streets but remained at Kenol Sub-County offices.

By the time they swung into action, ferried youths from Thika and Nairobi had already barricaded the road and lit tires to try keep Tanga Tanga supporters from accessing the venue where Ruto was expected.

To add salt to injury, the 24 officers did not have enough resources to quell the chaos that ensured as pro Ruto group countered the ferried youths leading to two losses of innocent lives.

The unnamed individual from the office if the president also went ahead to tell the Sub county commissioner to keep off the DP’s meeting and instructed him to travel to his rural home for a rest over the weekend in spite of him not requested for leave.

ndindi nyoro, alice wahome
Alice Wahome and Ndindi Nyoro. Image/Courtesy

Yesterday, Kiharu Mp Ndindi Nyoro and his Kandara counterpart Alice Wahome accused the police of trying to fix the chaos on them, and denied that they had received summons from the DCI to answer questions on their involvement on the clashes.

Do you have a story you wish to tell? Oppressed at your work place? You have news? Tips? Exposé? You need to be heard??

The Kenyan Herald will carry your story. Share with us on email editor@kenyan-herald.com or info@Kenyan-herald.com or news@Kenyan-Herald.com

Do you have a comment about this article?