Deputy President William Ruto’s seat that had been preserved for him at the KICC for the ongoing covid-19 conference has for the better part of the conference remained empty after the DP Skipped the event.
The DP, who was expected to accompany President Uhuru Kenyatta and other dignitaries to conference failed to turn up, hours after Uhuru arrived at the venue.
It was not until the president arrived at around 2:20pm, that it became clear that his deputy, who has recently pulled away from most of Uhuru’s functions in the country, was a no-show.
It was at this moment that the seat designated for him was quickly moved to the other side of the podium. In the front row were ODM leader Raila Odinga, Chief Justice David Maraga and Uhuru.
It however remains unclear on why Ruto decide to skip the event, even though his name was among those guests expected to grace the occasion.
In the programme list, among those expected to speak includes Interior CS Fred Matiang’i, Chair of Governors Wycliff Oparanya, Senate Speaker Kenneth Lusaka together with former Prime Minister Raila Odinga, who will speak as the AU High Representative for Infrastructure and Development in Africa.
Ruto was expected to also make his speech after Raila Odinga, before ushering in the President to make his address and charter the way forward for the country in regards to Covid-19 pandemic.
Here is the list of guests expected to address today’s conference as recorded in the programme;
1. Dr Fred Okeng’o Matiangi who is the CS for Interior and the Chair of Co-ordination of National Government.
2. Governor Wycliff Oparanya who is the Kakamega county boss and the Chairperson of Council of Governors.
3. Senator and Speaker of the Senate, Mr Kenneth Lusaka.
4. Right Honourable Raila Amollo Odinga who will be speaking as the High Representative for Infrastructure Development in Africa and also the former Prime Minister.
5. The Deputy President William Ruto will also speak and after his address, he will invite President Uhuru Kenyatta to make his address and charter the way forward for the country in regards to Covid-19 pandemic.
Yule jamaa mbona hayuko KICC?
— Hon. William Chepkut (@Chepkut_William) September 28, 2020
Why is the Deputy President not present at the #COVID19 conference?
Did he abscond? #UhuruIsADemocrat
— Robert Alai (@RobertAlai) September 28, 2020