After months of speculations and uncertainties over the resumption of learning in Kenyan schools, learners now have a reason to smile as CS Magoha says schooling reopening is not cast on stone.
Education CS George Magoha now says that parents should prepare their children as schools may reopen if the covid-19 cases continue to reduce in a fortnight.
While on a tour of Makueni County, the CS said that preparations are in high gear even as the Coronavirus committee will have a sit down to review reopening dates.
Although he noted that the final decision shall come from President Uhuru Kenyatta, Magoha said that the next three weeks will be crucial in determining whether to reopen schools, as the flattening of the coronavirus curve will inform the president’s decision.
“We really must get our children to schools. We want to see whether we can reopen earlier and conditions
will determine,” Magoha said.
“We are observing the curve and when it hits 5% in the next three weeks, we then can sit down and make hard decisions together” said Magoha as he toured Wote Technical Training College to assess the level of preparedness for resumption of learning.
At the same time, the tough speaking Education CS lambasted management of technical colleges for the laxity in preparation to get learners back to class.
The CS noted that it was the prerogative of college heads to work closely with the ministry of interior in sourcing cheaper labour through the Kazi Mtaani program that is employing thousands of youths.
He also warned school heads not to engage in corrupt practices as the government seeks to disburse funds for reopening preparation.
On working with Fred Mating’I, Magoha stated: “We are creating a system where every public secondary school gets between 50 and 100 desks. However, we are going to implement this with the help of the Interior Ministry to ensure no public money is lost and also have on board all youth leaders in every sub-county,”
The government has been in the past week under immense pressure from World Health Organization to urgently consider reopening schools in September.