Westgate terror suspects

Sentencing of Two Westgate Terror Suspects Postponed to Oct. 30

The sentencing of two convicted individuals found guilty of participating in the deadly Westgate Mall in 2013 has been postponed for another week.

Chief Magistrate Francis Andayi made the ruling to enable probation officer complete and file the victims’ report.

The two men Ahmed Abdil and Hassan Mustafa had been scheduled to be sentenced today, Thursday, October 22.

The two were found guilty of charges preferred against them earlier this month.

The court was informed by the prosecution through Edwin Okello that only nine victims had recorded their statement and that the probation officer required seven days to complete the recording of the remaining statements.

Defense lawyers, Chacha Mwita and Mbugua Muerithi did not oppose the application to adjourn the sentencing saying: “it is the probation report that will guide the court to determine the nature of sentence to be imposed upon the two accused persons,” the lawyers said.

At the same time, the court was briefed on the disappearance of the third accused person Liban Omar who was acquitted by the court and abducted immediately after release by unknown individuals.

His whereabouts remains unknown.

The prosecutor, Mr. Okello told the court that the matter was being investigated by the police.

The Magistrate urged the defense counsels to report the matter to the Kenya Human Rights Commission for  further investigations.

 

Do you have a story you wish to tell? Oppressed at your work place? You have news? Tips? Exposé? You need to be heard??

The Kenyan Herald will carry your story. Share with us on email editor@kenyan-herald.com or info@Kenyan-herald.com or news@Kenyan-Herald.com

Do you have a comment about this article?