Moments after the Jubilee party communicated it had decided not to field a candidate for the Msambweni constituency by-election, Deputy President William Ruto has come out to weigh in on the matter.
Speaking on Wednesday afternoon after a brief meeting with the party’s Secretary General Raphael Tuju, Ruto stated that he was in agreement with the part’s decision though it was against his wishes.
He revealed that Despite Tuju reaching out to him with consultations on some possible decisions the party was about to make, Ruto said it was unfortunate that Jubilee made the decision before they could conclude on the matter.
“Tuju briefed me on the decisions made in various positions…though we did not arrive at a mutual agreement, I am satisfied with what they have done. ,” stated Ruto.
Ruto however, assured candidates who had expressed their intentions to run using the party’s ticket that was going to be the last time the party was not fielding a candidate in any elective position.
The DP, who was accompanied by Tuju to the press briefing, assured followers that the party was not being folded or is shrinking, adding that it was still intact, growing and going forward.
DP @WilliamsRuto says he was of a different view about the Msambweni by-election but now supports decision by @JubileePartyK not to field a candidate. https://t.co/DEv93N34qE pic courtesy pic.twitter.com/yipNbmnA6s
— Ali 'Mwamvita' Manzu (@Ali_Manzu) September 23, 2020
“I was of a different view that we should have fielded a candidate in Msambweni but because of the decision already made and for the sake of our party’s unity, then we have to accept that. I am sure those candidates will find other avenues…this will be the last time we are not giving chances to our candidates,” assured Ruto.
Ruto said he will be in frequent consultations with Tuju and that they will be having more meetings to ready and prepare ourselves concerning the future of the Jubilee party ahead of the oncoming elections.
'…we have held a meeting with sg on decision made..I am satisfied with the decision. Those who had intentions to use Jubilee Party in Msambweni to use alternative avenues…'
DP William Ruto@citizentvkenya pic.twitter.com/LzTPzMtfmO
— Francis Gachuri (@Fchurii) September 23, 2020
He urged willing candidates to look for alternative avenues including independent tickets or other parties, adding that he will support any of them who will talk nicely to him since Jubilee will not be having a candidate.
“If any of them talk nicely to me, then I will reconsider my support for the candidate,” said Ruto
Earlier on, Tuju communicated that with Jubilee’s recent cooperation with ODM, then the party saw it fit not to field a candidate.
Jubilee politician demands answers from party's Secretary General Raphael Tuju after he announced that they will not field a candidate in Msambweni by-election. pic.twitter.com/tSnXSSs2DO
— NTV Kenya (@ntvkenya) September 23, 2020
He also said the country faces serious issues currently following CJ David Maraga’s call for the dissolution of Parliament for failing to legislate laws to implement the gender rule hence the need not to field a candidate.
He also said the country faces serious issues currently following CJ David Maraga’s call for the dissolution of Parliament for failing to legislate laws to implement the gender rule.
So Tuju consults himself on weighty Party issues&then makes an announcement?This is so disrespectful to both the Jubilee leadership and it’s membership. It’s even ridiculous that Tuju is alleging that failure to field a candidate will help President solve 2/3 gender rule.Awuoro! pic.twitter.com/yBeei1gcs9
— KIPCHUMBA MURKOMEN, E.G.H (@kipmurkomen) September 23, 2020
— Ken Aseka (@KenAseka) September 23, 2020